​​EH FAQ Banner.png

What businesses and structures does KCHD regulate?

The Kane County Health Department's Environmental Health section regulates the businesses and structures through our permitting process​ including:

  • Retail foodservice operations that include restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores that sell certain types of food, businesses that serve food, caterers that offer their services to the public, and foodservice facilities that are available for public use that operate within Kane County, except within city limits of Elgin, as they have their own municipal health department.

  • Mobile, seasonal, and temporary event food vendors that include food trucks, pushcarts, trailers, food tents, caterers and outdoor events when serving food to the public within Kane County (excluding City of Elgin) for profit or when offered free of charge.
  • Commercial food preparation facilities used as commissaries, shared kitchens, storage and preparation facilities for mobile businesses, caterers, and seasonal vendors.

  • Home based food businesses (cottage food) located in Kane County.

  • Water wells available to public that serve an average of 25 people per day or more.

  • Installation of new and renovated public and private wells and septic systems, including renovations or additional activities that require changes to the well and/or septic systems to make them compliant with current code.

  • Abandoned or unused water wells that require proper sealing for safety.

  • Septic systems that are failing and causing a public nuisance and/or health hazard.

  • Tanning facilities with UV light equipment.

We do not regulate:

  • Private events or personal food

  • Raw, unprocessed agricultural products

  • Establishments or temporary/seasonal events when operating within the city of Elgin or outside Kane County.

  • Foodservice wholesalers and distributors (sale and transport of food to retail foodservice operations). These are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health, Illinois Department of Agriculture, the Food and Drug Administration and the US Department of Agriculture.

  • Spray tanning facilities, tattoo, massage, hair and nail salons

  • Public water and sewer systems (see city or village water department)​

​How are complaints received and handled at KCHD?

Complaints may be submitted online, by phone, or forwarded by other departments. Once a complaint is received, staff will determine if it is within our jurisdiction to investigate and either redirect the complainant or forward to another department. Generally, the Kane County Health Department’s Environmental Health section investigates complaints for businesses and structures that we regulate.

Types of complaints we typically investigate:
  • Foodborne illness: Person or persons have a suspected or diagnosed illness that may have resulted from consumption of food. Most foodborne illnesses have an incubation period of 1-3 days. Complainants reporting foodborne illness will be contacted by KCHD’s Communicable Disease staff to obtain details to help our sanitarians conduct relevant inspections.

  • Non-foodborne illness: Complaints of unsafe/unsanitary conditions and practices will be investigated. KCHD does not investigate food or service quality issues unrelated to food safety.

  • Well/Septic concerns: KCHD will investigate failing or improperly maintained septic systems that cause or may cause a health risk and well water safety. We are not able to address issues with well water quality.

  • Most property maintenance and nuisance complaints are directed to Kane County buildings in unincorporated areas or the municipality buildings office for the city in which the complaint occurred.

Complaints are investigated and if a violation in the jurisdiction of the KCHD is observed, the owner or establishment will be notified to correct the violation. If the investigation results in no violation observed, the case will be closed. Complainants are not notified of the results of complaint investigations, and may use the FOIA system​ to request any public records.